Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Best Ever Low Fat Banana Muffins

Cleaning out the cupboards today and found lots of sugar from last Holiday Season~~I love to bake and this year I found out how through experimentation that sugar is my nemesis. I absolutely do not believe in Artificial Sweeteners though and I am researching Stevia to see if it's alright because it is in my Whey Protein Powder. In my opinion, I would rather have good old sugar, organic, in the raw (4 Grams per Tsp) and in moderation.  I also Love Honey, but it is so high in sugar (16 grams per Tablespoon) that it is a treat to splodge it on my spoonful of Almond Butter and it helps with those hunger slumps that I sometimes fall into. This Recipe can be altered by adding nuts to the mix. This will add fat as well, even if it is the "good fat". When I am trying to maintain, even "good fat" is minimal on my plate. A "secret" to baking healthier is to replace whole eggs with egg whites and replace oils or fats with applesauce. This Culinary Rule applies to packaged mixes too. Try it for those Brownies and see if the family notices the difference! These Muffins are very moist. Sifting the dry ingredients and lower heat in the oven helps keep them that way. These would be good with  low fat whipped cream cheese!

Yields 2 Dozen Medium Muffins-Can't just eat one, So Serving Size is 2 :)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease 2 (12 cup) Muffin Tins with a little bit of Earth Balance Margarine

 Ingredients:
3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (Use Gluten Free Flour if desired)
2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon

5-6 small very ripe Bananas 
1 Cup Organic Sugar
1 Cup Organic Applesauce
1/3 Cup (2) Egg Whites
Topping:
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar, softened
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance Margarine
Method:
~Mix topping together with clean hands and set aside
~Sift dry ingredients and set aside
~Mash Bananas and add Sugar, mix lightly
~Add Egg whites and Applesauce to Banana Mixture and mix lightly to incorporate
~Slowly Add Dry Ingredients to Banana Mixture until mixed thoroughly, rest for a minute
~Drink a glass of Lemon Water~~
~Fill muffin tins evenly  
~Top with Topping
~Bake on Top level of oven for 17-20 Minutes, turning tins around 1/2 way through baking
~Cool on Racks for 2 minutes and transfer to a large platter 
~ Yummiest When eaten warm
~ BEWARE: High In Sugar...Eat Responsibly!!!!! I AM NOT KIDDING!







1 comment:

  1. A Day Later and they are still moist..and sugary..You can skip the topping and lower the sugar content in the recipe. Remember any recipe that is altered becomes your own! :)

    ReplyDelete