Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 5, 2011

Delightful Bean, Rice and Veggie Salad

I absolutely LOVE to whip up a recipe with the ingredients I already have in the house. I also often wish I had the ingredients in the food kitchens on food network! I call my dishes, "Something from Nothing" most of the time and thankfully most of the time, they turn out delicious. I look at cooking as an Art form and a Science and I have trained myself to use a plenitude of color in my kitchen works of art. (LOL) Here is a recipe for a meatless, high fiber and a complete protein main course or side dish. It would be lovely as a filling for Boston Lettuce wraps or on top of a bed of Wild Arugula. The ingredients are not set in stone. You may use any beans or veggies that you have in the house and you could switch the Brown Rice with Quinoa if you like. I love the addition of fresh Spearmint along with Italian Parsley and Basil. Dried Herbs may be used too. Dill is very flavorful and I use a seasoning blend that is sodium free as well.
This Recipe Serves about 12 Side dishes:
Mix Together with clean hands in a Huge Bowl:
2 C Cooked (and cooled) Brown Rice, Seasoned with a touch of Olive oil and dry seasonings
1 Can Each Rinsed and drained: Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Pinto Beans
2 Medium Zucchini, Washed, Dried and cut into 1" cubes
2 Cups Chopped Baby Carrots
1 Cup Chopped Celerey
1/2 Large Purple Onion, Chopped
1 Large Garlic Clove, Minced
1 cup each Fresh Basil, Parsley and Spearmint, Chopped
1 C Vinaigrette:
    1 Tsp Dijon Mustard, 1/2 Cup Balsamic, 1/2 cup Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper
   Place the mustard in a small glass measuring cup. Add S/P to taste. Stir in Vinegar until mustard is dissolved.
   Add the oil and stir constantly until mixture is blended
Thanks for the compliment, Joanne! We have some here to have for a mid-day meal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment