Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Hiding Kale


A "Superfood" is defined as a nutrient rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well being. I like that definition. I have been concerned about the foods I consume since I was 14 years old when I decided to become a vegetarian, much to my parents chagrin. The question was always put to me by most people I came in contact with was, do you do it to save the animals or do you do it for your health. My reply was, both. And then I got criticized for wearing leather, but my Earth Shoes were Not leather! HA HA!
Kale is a superfood that I had to really get my taste buds to accept. It is bitter and stalky and there was a time that I would never eat this green, chewy, yuck. Then, my husband told me he was having baby kale salads on the set. He works on TV shows and movies in Hollywood and the catered lunched are so fabulous, so I decided to give it one more try. I knew I disliked it raw and cannot imagine putting it a shake..but I will try, because I have a sense of adventure still. So, I call it "Hiding Kale" because I use it in recipes where you cannot really taste it. My first try was on a "Fancy Pizza"


I chopped up about 2 cups of organic tuscan kale for the first layer and then topped it with whatever I had in the house that would be suitable for pizza. The pizza shown has roasted turkey, zucchini, red bell pepper, provolone cheese and fresh oregano and basil. It's a small pizza so I usually eat 3 pieces and 5 go to my sweet DB.

Then I tried a quick chicken soup and it came out so savory and delightful. It was one of those rare rainy days here in Southern California and it warmed us up for lunch. I always make some sourdough toast to go with it...because I can 


Just saute some onions, celery, carrots in a tablespoon of grass fed butter, add salt and pepper until tender. Add 2 cups chopped kale and simmer until tender. Add 1 quart defatted, low sodium (because I like to add my own salt) chicken broth and heat for 5-7 minutes Add cooked, chopped chicken breast and simmer for a few minutes and add sliced zucchini at the end since it takes just a few minutes for it to cook. Use any veggies that you like. I added dried thyme and sage from my garden.
Another time I added chopped kale to my turkey meatloaf! It came out so wonderful! I forgot to take a picture of it, but I will for next time.

I would have to say that my favorite use of kale has been when I made braciole (Stuffed flank steak). I am saving this recipe for one of my next articles. It was so very simple to make. I would make it more often however, I do not eat much red meat. It destroys my stomach. I see that as proof of the "blood type diet" as being bogus. 




Moral of this story for me is try everything once, (well maybe not everything, unless I really had too, like if I was in prison or something...lol), but twice if I like it and make it my very own. I made Kale taste delicious! Most of my recipes are Italian in flavor. I must switch it up and diversify, but why should I. No one has complained yet!
The top secret to my weight loss success is hands down: Portion Control. And the only "diet" that I think is realistic and successful is "Weight Watchers".  I lost 60 pounds 30 years ago after having my first child on WW. That was when everything had to be weighed out and it taught me how to "eye" the portion after a while. I hated the meetings though. I found them to be humiliating and corny. It is different now, I hear now that Oprah has taken over. The poster child for yo-yo dieting!



No comments:

Post a Comment