Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 5, 2016

5 Minute Tomato~Avocado Salad


Yes, I can easily say that tomatoes have always been a staple in my diet ever since I can remember. My parents grew them in the back yard, we had them on our Italian sandwiches which included mortadella, capicola and provolone cheese. I reserve this for Christmas Eve now and the cold cuts that I buy have no preservatives, nitrates or nitrites used in processing. How things have changed in my life, and it was all me that did it :)
This easy salad is full of fiber from the perfectly ripened avocado. After slicing the avocado, sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. The acid prevents the fruit (yes fruit) from turning brown. Tomato is theoretically a fruit too so I guess you could call this a savory fruit salad. 

Ingredients:
2-3 organic, vine ripened tomatoes
2 avocados
1T each fresh or dried basil and oregano 
2 T extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices and arrange on a decorative platter
Top with sliced avocado
Top with herbs and salt and pepper
Sprinkle with oil and vinegar

Serve with thin sliced sourdough toast topped with kerrygold butter and a touch of parmesan, slightly toasted



No comments:

Post a Comment