Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Dirty Dozen & The Clean 15

I have touched on the importance of consuming organic foods. Here is a guide developed by the Environmental Working Group based on data from nearly 87,000 tests for pesticide residues in produce between the years 2000 and 2007.
The Dirty Dozen-Worst First:
Peach
Apple
Bell Pepper
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Kale
Lettuce
Grapes (imported)
Carrot
Pear

The Clean 15-Best First
Onion
Avocado
Sweet Corn (beware of Monsanto)
Pineapple
Mango
Asparagus
Sweet Peas
Kiwi
Cabbage
Eggplant
Papaya
Watermelon (Seedless=Genetically Modified)
Broccoli
Tomato
Sweet Potato

Buying organic and locally grown foods has recently become part of my lifestyle. Yes, it costs more, however, I have learned how to make it last in these tough economic times and it really doesn't have to cost that much more if your know where to shop. Trader Joe's is my place to shop. They offer so many varieties of organic produce, meats, dairy and breads (and chocolate too)! I made the big switch at the beginning of the year and I have recently achieved my weight loss goal and I believe I have leaned up due to even better eating than usual. It truly feels good to eat "Clean"..Any comments are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment